Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
For cauliflower base
- 1 very large head of cauliflower or 2 small heads
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
For cauliflower cashew cheese sauce
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked for 30 minutes in hot water or soaked overnight in cold water
- 1 cup soft cooked cauliflower reserved from cauliflower base
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Anti-inflammatory Spice Mix
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup hot water more if needed
- Kalamata olives diced
- Soak cashews overnight or in boiling water for at least 30 minutes while you prepare the cauliflower.
- Cut cauliflower into equal, bite size pieces.
- Bring about 1/4 inch of water to a boil in a large, shallow frying pan. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and cauliflower florets.
- Turn heat down to medium high, cover and cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes until tender but not falling apart.
- Remove all but 1 cup of the cauliflower using a slotted spoon. Set aside to drain in a colander or on a cutting board lined with a towel.
- Cook remaining cauliflower for another 3 minutes or until very soft and falling apart. Add more water if the water in the pan starts to evaporate too quickly and pan is becoming dry.
- Move soft cooked cup of cauliflower to a blender or food processor along with soaked and drained cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, mustard, garlic powder, tumeric and sea salt along with the first 1/3 cup of hot water.
- Blend on high until smooth, adding more hot water if needed. You want the final consistency to be pourable, but still thick.
- Wipe out skillet that you used to steam cauliflower and heat to medium heat with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Add drained cauliflower florets back to the pan along with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Stir to coat in olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over cauliflower, toss gently with a spatula to coat.
- Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Top with a little nutritional yeast, cracked black pepper, paprika and fresh herbs.
Serve hot, can be made ahead and easly re-heated.